Emil O. W. Kirkegaard is a vexatious litigant who filed a frivolous lawsuit against me, lost the preliminary judgment and dropped the case shortly before summary judgment; he owes me £35,971.67 in legal costs but predictable for his unpleasant character – refuses to pay and is in contempt of court. I am counter-suing him in Denmark to enforce the judgment and order.
Emil Kirkegaard (image used under §30A Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988).
18/12/2021: A fundraiser has been created for donations to assist with enforcement.
01/11/2021: I recover £13,403.60 after complaining to the Legal Ombudsman.
12/10/2021: Kirkegaard is in contempt of the High Court of Justice for noncompliance.
28/10/2021: Kirkegaard owes me £35,971.67 in legal costs.
21/05/2020: Kirkegaard discontinues 11-days before summary judgment.
11/12/2019: Preliminary judgment. Kirkegaard loses and is ordered to pay me £13,500.
- Kirkegaard v Smith: case overview, timeline and my legal defence.
- Smith v Debenhams Ottaway: complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.
- Smith v Kirkegaard: enforcement, injunction and copyright infringement.[in progress]
- Letter on preliminary hearing (February 8 2019).
- Letter to Emil Kirkegaard (December 4 2019).
- Letter on unless order and summary judgment (April 9 2020).
- Letter on summary judgment application (April 29 2020).
- Letter to Emil Kirkegaard (May 11 2020).
- Letter to Emil Kirkegaard (September 15 2020).
- Letter on costs assessment (September 25 2020).
- Letter to the Senior Courts Costs Office (September 8 2021).
- Letter from Legal Ombudsman (October 19 2021).
- Notice of discontinuance (May 21 2020).
- Preliminary judgment (December 11 2019).
Final costs certificate
Final costs certificate showing Emil Kirkegaard owes me £26,686.43 in legal costs. This order does not include additional interest he owes (£2,563.24), nor the unless order (£6,722.00) he breached. His debt is £35,971.67.
- “It’s Evil, Don’t Touch It”, Pharyngula (August 13 2021).